Meal breaks is a feature for ExakTime that allows you to better track your employees' meal break during their work day by letting your employees start and end their meal breaks themselves.
Employees can only track their own meal breaks with the "Clock In" page of ExakTime Mobile. The "Clock For" does not currently allow a supervisor to start/end an employee's meal break.
If you would rather deduct your employee's lunchtime automatically, you can refer to the following dedicated article for automatic lunch deductions.
Requires ExakTime Mobile 2.82+
For your employees to track their meal breaks with ExakTime Mobile, they must have/use ExakTime Mobile 2.82+. If you or your employees are not sure what version of ExakTime Mobile is being used, you can refer to the following article to make sure that you are updated to the latest version, if possible.
Table of Contents
- Enabling Manual Meal Breaks
- What Employees Will Do
- Reviewing Manual Meal Breaks
Recorded Webinar for Meal Breaks
Enabling Manual Meal Breaks
- Go to Manage and click Policies.
- Add a new policy or select an existing policy group.
- Enable Meal Breaks.
- Adjust the options for Meal Breaks towards the right. Enable the option to "Specify meal break duration" if the employee should only have a set meal break length and adjust the available options.
- Enable the option to "Specify meal break duration" and set how long an employee's meal break should be and after how many hours they should work until they should have their meal break.
- Employees clocking in early from meal break - What will happen if an employee tries to end their meal break early.
- Prevent Employee - Prevents the employee from ending their meal break early.
- Warn Employee - Warn the employee if they are ending their meal break before their allotted time and enter the warning message that should be shown to employees.
- If the employee ends their meal break early, the employee may receive more work time than expected if they work their normal shift.
- Notify employees about meal breaks - Enable if the employee should view a notification before their meal break and/or before their meal break end time and how long before the notification should appear.
- Save your changes.
- If you need to assign the policy group to an employee, you can do so from the employee's profile or the policies page.
If you would like to learn more about other policy options, you can refer to the following dedicated article.
For JobClock Users
If your employees are using keytabs and JobClocks, you can assign a keytab to the "Meal Break" cost code so your employees can track their meal breaks. Your employees would simply tap their "Meal Break" keytab when they start their meal break and clock in when done with their meal break.
As the employee would not receive any reminders, your employees will need to keep track of when they should start and end their meal break themselves.
If enabled and the employee is logged in and clocked in to ExakTime Mobile, the employee will see a notification like the below examples reminding them when they should take their meal break and when their meal break will be ending.
If your employees are sharing a device, such as a tablet, the notifications will not provide an ideal experience as notifications require an employee to both be logged in and clocked in. Employees may not be logged in or may not be near a device for the notification.
What Employees Will Do
With ExakTime Mobile
- The employee will press Meal Break to begin their meal break. They should see a confirmation screen that their meal break has started. The meal break option will not prompt for Facefront or require location services like a typical punch.
- The button text should change to "End Meal Break" and the GO/STOP buttons will be grayed out and unpressable. The timer near the top of ExakTime Mobile will let them know how long their meal break has been. Tapping it will show them when the meal break started.
- When they are done with their meal break, they will press End Meal Break. They will be clocked in to the previous location and cost code before they started their meal break. Depending on your company's settings, they may be unable to end their meal break early or may receive a message if they try to end it early. They can tap OK to end their meal break early.
If you would like to provide your employees with a resource on what to do or expect, you can provide them with the following dedicated article. The article can also be found in the help section of ExakTime Mobile.
With Connect Clock
When using Connect Clock, the "Meal Break" and "End Break" buttons will be available for employees. If you have a warning for employees that try to end their meal break early, they will see a warning message letting them know that they have some more time left.
If you would like to provide your employees with a resource on what to do or expect, you can provide them with the following dedicated article.
Reviewing Manual Meal Breaks
On Time Cards
There will be some new additions.
- Break summary and column - A break summary and column will appear on yours time cards to indicate how long the employee's break was for the day and date range. The meal break is not a deduction of time like an auto-lunch deduction, but a separate set of time.
- Missing Meal Break - An indicator if the employee did not take their meal break for the day. If the employee worked under the minimum amount of hours, the indicator will not appear.
- Punched in early from meal break icon - An indicator if the employee has ended their meal break early. Hovering the icon will list additional information about the punch.
- Meal Break icon - An icon for any time record that is a meal break.
- Add Meal Break - Add a meal break record to the employee time card.
Adding a Meal Break Manually
If your employee forgets to track their meal break, you can also add the meal break manually.
Employee Forgot to Track Their Meal Break
- The employee should have a red exclamation point to indicate that they have a time issue, such as missing a meal break. Look for the "Missing Meal Break" indicator for the day an employee did not track their meal break.
- Click Add Meal Break and enter when the meal break should start. The "Meal Break" cost code will be entered automatically. Then add a new time record for when the employee should start working again after their meal break.
- After saving, your meal break and the time record for when they come back from their meal break should be added to the time card.
For a Blank Time Card
When adding a meal break for a blank time card with other time records, you will need to make sure the start times of both the meal break and the time record after the meal break take into account the meal break duration.
On Mobile Time Card
The mobile time card will have some new additions:
- Break total - Total duration of meal break time for the week and specific meal breaks.
- Yellow Exclamation Point - Indicator for a meal-related issue for the day.
- Missed Meal Break - An indicator if the employee did not take their meal break for the day.
- Punched in early from meal break - An indicator if the employee ended their meal break early.
The "Meal Break" report allows you to track the # of meals expected, taken, short, and missed through the "Meal Break" policy. For more information about the meal break report, you can refer to the following dedicated article.