This article contains information about a feature that is currently in beta and is subject to change.
Alerts and Notifications allow you to better communicate with your employees to help ensure smooth business operations. Your alerts and notifications can be sent via email, text messages, and/or push notifications (through ExakTime Mobile) to make sure that as many people receive your messages as possible.
- Alerts - Notify your employees immediately of any critical information (e.g. location closure due to extreme weather, divert employees to a secondary location, etc.)
- Notifications - Schedule a message for your employees (e.g. Reminder to come to the office for paperwork, etc.)
Table of Contents
- Permission for Alerts and Notifications
- Understanding the Alerts and Notifications Page
- Creating an Alert/Notification
- Edit Unsent Notifications
- View Alert/Notification Details
- Archive an Alert/Notification
- What Employees See
Permission for Alerts and Notifications
There is a new permission that controls the ability to create and send alerts and notifications in ExakTime named 'Custom Alerts and Notifications’. Administrators will have this permission by default. All other security roles must have this permission enabled if they need to view, add, edit, and/or archive notifications.
- Navigate to Manage and click Security Roles.
- Click the ExakTime Connect tab.
- Add a new security role or click an existing security role to grant the permission. The Administrator role will have permission by default.
- Enable the "Custom Alerts and Notifications" option(s) under "Tools and Communications"
- No Access - No permission to access the Alerts and Notifications page.
- Access All - All permissions listed below are enabled.
- View - View the alerts and notifications management page and the details of sent messages.
- Add - Create an alert or notification.
- Edit - Edit an unsent scheduled notification.
- Archive - Archive a previously sent notification to cut down on clutter.
- Enable the "Custom Alerts and Notifications Settings" permission if the security role also needs access to edit the settings for Alerts and Notifications.
- Save any changes.
For more information about all Exaktime Connect permission, you can refer to the following article.
Understanding the Alerts and Notifications Page
Managing your custom alerts and notifications is done by going to Tools and clicking Alerts and Notifications from the menu bar.
A bulk of your time will be spent on the Manage page of Alerts and Notifications. You can create new alerts/notifications, check any pending alerts/notifications, archive any previous ones, and view details of any sent alerts/notifications.
- Custom Alerts & Notifications - View your current customer alerts and notifications.
- Settings - View and adjust your settings for Alerts & Notifications.
- Create Alert - Create a new alert for your employees.
- Create Notification - Create a new notification for your employees.
- Actions - Click to view alert/notification details. Click to archive the alert/notification. Click to edit an unsent notification.
- Date & Time - The date and time that the alert/notification was sent. If the notification has been scheduled for a future time, this will be the date and time it will be sent.
- Status - Clicking the column header allows you to filter the list. An alert/notification can have a status of:
- Pending - Notification is scheduled to be sent.
- Sent - Alert/Notification has been sent to the recipients.
- Failed - None of the recipients have received the alert/notification.
- Archived - Alert/notification has been archived.
- Type - Indicator if it is an Alert or Notification. Clicking the column header allows you to filter the list.
- Subject and Message - A preview of the subject and message text that has been added by the creator of the alert/notification.
- Recipients - The number of employees to receive the alert/notification.
- Creator - The user that created the alert/notification. Clicking the column header allows you to filter the list.
The settings page allows you to specify how your alerts and notifications will be sent. By default, "Push from ExakTime Mobile" is enabled.
- Push from ExakTime Mobile
- SMS Text
If all three methods are selected, we will prioritize "Push from ExakTime Mobile", then "SMS Text", then "Email", depending on what is available from the employee profile. The employee will also only receive one notification if multiple channels are selected.
For example, if the Push notification and SMS text options are chosen, the system will look to see if the employee has the mobile app installed and has allowed notifications. If the employee has met these conditions, he/she will receive a push notification. If the employee has not met these conditions the system will try to send them an SMS text message with the mobile phone number on record in ExakTime.
The settings screen should be used to exclude any methods the administrator does not want to use to send messages.
Creating an Alert/Notification
- Click Create Alert or Create Notification depending on need. Alerts are sent immediately and Notifications are scheduled for the future.
- Specify the recipients of the alert.
- Specify the date/time if you are sending a notification. Enter the subject and message of the alert/notification. Click Create Alert/Notification when finished.
- You will see a preview of the notification and the option to send it to selected recipients.
Edit Unsent Notifications
If a notification has not been sent, you have the opportunity to adjust the recipients, schedule, subject, and/or message. Alerts, and Notifications that are scheduled to be sent immediately, cannot be edited. If you need to make a correction to an alert, you can send a new alert and clarify that the previous alert was incorrect.
- Click the pencil icon towards the left of an unsent notification.
- Adjust the notification as needed.
- Save your changes.
View Alert/Notification Details
It can be important to review pending or sent notifications in case your employees have questions/concerns.
Click the icon towards the left of an alert/notification to view its details.
Archive an Alert/Notification
Archive previously sent alerts/notifications to keep your list manageable and clutter-free.
- Click the Archive icon towards the left of an alert/notification. If the notification is still pending, the notification will not be sent.
- Click the Status column header to filter your alert/notifications to view archived alerts/notifications.
What Employees See
Depending on the method(s) selected, your employees can see alerts/notifications like below.
Device Permission Required for Push Notifications
Employees must have the latest version of the mobile app installed on their phone or tablet to receive push notifications. The employee will only receive push notifications if they have allowed notifications to be sent from ExakTime and they are logged into the mobile app.