Follow the steps below to Add or Edit questions on evaluations. For steps to create a new evaluation, click here.
Questions and Sections can only be added to evaluations that NOT been assigned.
- Search for the evaluation name; newly created will be at the top
- Click on the Actions icon "..." to the right and choose 'Questions'
- New Question or Edit (pencil icon).
New questions cannot be added to an evaluation which has already been assigned, but questions can be edited after assigned.
Question Types and Examples
- Drop Down Rating Scale - create a list of items and use a drop-down scale to rate each item. Add in a min/max value for the rating scale and assign/align it to a competency within the drop-down.
- Text Box - creates a single line for data entry
- Radio Button - single choice radio button display. Display options are vertical or horizontal.
- Rating Scale - The rating scale for rating competencies, behaviors, skill sets, core values, etc., is configurable; 1-10, 1-3, 1-5, words versus numbers, etc.
- Add a Rating Scale to a Radio Button Question:
- Select Add Row and continue to select until the number of rows equals your rating scale. For example, 1-3 rating scale should have three rows.
- Add in the row name, along with the row value. For example, smallest to greatest or greatest to smallest.
- Select Display Rows Horizontally if you prefer the inline response, versus the vertical view.
By selecting horizontal, it will shorten up the length of your form.
- Text Area - Creates an area box on the screen to enter text
- Radio Button Matrix - create a matrix with items to be rated on the left and a scale displayed across the top. Example, group your competencies, such as Decision Making as the Category. There are then 3-5 questions pertaining to Decision Making. Setup choices, like your rating in words (example, a 1 rating is needs improvement) and add in a value with the number. The choice value will not be seen by the employee. Setup the rows with questions and associate it with a competency.
- Drop Down - single choice drop down option
- Numeric Text Box - creates a single line box for numeric values only
- 360 Rating Question Drop-Down - used with 360's only
- 360 Rating Question Radio Button - used with 360's only
Test out the look of a new question by adding it to an evaluation and then select to preview the evaluation form.
Questions must be added to a section on the evaluation form. By default, the questions will be added to the bottom of a section and can be easily moved using the up/down arrows under the Move column. In addition, a question or a group of questions can be moved from one section to another by selecting the checkbox to the left of the question and then choosing the section from the "Move To" dropdown.
Questions can be copied and edited to speed up the question creation process. If you have a repeatable rating scale, instead of re-creating the rating scale with each question, copy the question, change the question information and competency (if applicable) and save. Copy multiple questions as you create them to save you time when creating your form.
Add New Question Screen
- Question Instructions and Question are optional fields, but a best practice would be to at minimum, populate the Question section. This is what will display as the question on the evaluation form.
- Question Instructions are helpful when detailing out a section, adding in the definition to a rating scale and/or including any type of visuals, like a workflow.
- Questions can take on any look and feel by using the HTML authoring components within the question section. Additional formatting options: Add in HTML by selecting the HTML option or copy and paste information into the space.
- Options within the HTML editing tool are very similar to Microsoft Word. Mouse over options/images to view what they can do.
Additional Question Settings
- Make Question Active - Defaults to checked. If deselected, the question will not display on an evaluation form.
- Make Question Required - employees cannot save form as complete unless ALL required questions are complete
- Make Entire Question Text Bold - checked by default and puts the question text in bold
- Create Page Break After Question - allows for page breaks within the form. Example: If you want goals on one page, competencies on another and any open-ended questions on another page, use the page break option to split these accordingly.
- Hide question on Self-Form - question will only show on manager form. Questions specifically for managers would work well, like Leadership Potential, or Additional Manager Comments. Once evaluation is finalized, questions and comments will show on manager employee version.
- Competency - the drop-down options are populated from the Add/Edit Competencies. Once a competency has been selected, the definition from the Add/Edit Competencies will auto populate the Question field. The score associated to the competency will auto populate the employee's information within the Succession Planning module.
- Question ID and Category - optional fields and not associated with anything in the system.
- Question Type - auto populate based on the question type selected when creating the question. This will also show up on the main question screen under the Question Type column.
Press Save to save this question on the evaluation.
Move the Order of Questions
Press the Up and Down arrows under the 'Move' column to reorder questions within a section.
Move Questions to a New Section
- Press the checkbox next to the question(s) to be moved.
- Under the dropdown 'Move to Section' on the right, choose the destination section.