With SyncLinx and AccountLinx, you can easily import information such as employees, locations, and cost codes from Sage 300 Timberline into your ExakTime Connect system and export your employee's time data from AccountLinx to import into Sage. To properly set up SyncLinx and AccountLinx, you may need elevated security rights. It is advised to read through the steps for each section before proceeding to provide context.
- Setting Up The Sage 300 ODBC Data Source
- Setting Up SyncLinx for Sage 300
- Using SyncLinx for Sage 300
- Setting Up The Sage 300 Import Template
- Setting Up AccountLinx for Sage 300
- Exporting From AccountLinx for Sage 300
Setting Up The Sage 300 ODBC Data Source
For SyncLinx to import information from Sage 300, an ODBC data source needs to be set up to allow communication to the appropriate company file. To accomplish this, you may need elevated security rights on your computer. If you receive any message that you do not have permission to accomplish a step, please consult with your IT professional for assistance.
- Click the Start button of your computer and search for ODBC. One of the options should be "ODBC Data Sources (32-bit)."* Run "ODBC Data Sources (32-bit)."
* If using a 32-bit operating system, you will only have "ODBC Data Sources" instead. Run "ODBC Data Sources"
- Click System DSN tab then click Add
- A small window will appear with a list of possible data sources. Scroll towards the bottom, select Timberline Data then click Finish.
- In the Data Source Name field, enter a name for the data source such as "ExaktimeTB".
- Click Options in the lower right.
- Change Table and Field Naming to Standard Descriptions.
- Check the Use Maximum Table Segment Table Size box.
- Click Select Folder... then select the Company File to pull data from and click OK. Then click OK two more times so the ODBC Data Sources window closes.
Setting Up SyncLinx for Sage 300
After setting up the ODBC Data Source for Sage 300, SyncLinx will need to be set up to use the ODBC Data Source created in the previous section. You may need to enter your Sage 300 credentials, so please have those ready.
- Open SyncLinx (If the shortcut to SyncLinx is not on the desktop, you can search for it in the Start menu or open the application from (C:\Program Files (x86)\ExakTime\AccountLinx) You can create a desktop shortcut for future ease of use.
- After SyncLinx has fully loaded, go to Tools in the top left and click Select Data Source
- In the following window, search for and check the box labeled Timberline Office then click OK.
- After a brief delay, there may be an error message pop up telling you to resolve the connection issues. Click OK.
- Go to Tools in the top left and click Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate & Timberline Office Settings
- A window will open to establish the initial connection to your Sage 300 data and other import options. Click Connection near the top.
- Another window will appear. Set the DSN to the name of the Sage 300 ODBC Data source we entered in the previous section and the driver to Timberline Data.
- If Sage 300 requires you to sign in, you will need to enter the User ID and Password on this screen. Click Save, then click Save again on the Options screen to return to the main menu of SyncLinx.
Using SyncLinx for Sage 300
After setting up SyncLinx with the ODBC Data Source, you can now use SyncLinx to import necessary data from Sage 300 into ExakTime Connect.
- At the top of SyncLinx are buttons for Get Employees, Get Cost Codes, and Get Locations.
- Clicking the appropriate buttons will allow you to import the equivalent Sage 300 data.
- TimeSummit Employees = Sage 300 Employees
- TimeSummit Cost Codes = Sage 300 Cost Codes
- TimeSummit Locations = Sage 300 Jobs
- It is advised to import the information in the following order:
- Cost Codes
- While in the respective areas you will select the items you wish to import with the radial button on the right-hand side under the Import header. Once ready, press Import at the bottom right.
- You can then repeat this to ignore any irrelevant item that will not be used in TimeSummit currently with the Ignore radial button.
- If a Sage 300 Job is using specific cost codes, it is advised to enable the option to import Cost Codes per Job. After a Sage 300 Job is imported into ExakTime Connect as a location, it will compare the cost codes assigned to the Sage 300 Job with the cost codes currently in ExakTime Connect and limit what cost codes are available for the location with a viewset.
For more information regarding the use of SyncLinx, you can refer to the following article: In-Depth: SyncLinx
Setting Up The Sage 300 Import Template
When we export time data from AccountLinx to be imported into Sage 300, an import template must first be created in Sage 300 so it can understand the time data that is being imported. The steps below will instruct on how to create this import template based on our advanced export from AccountLinx for Sage 300. While you may not use every field we provide, you will not need to do any additional set up in the event that you begin using a new field.
- In the Payroll portion of Sage 300, go to Tools and click Customize Time Entry.
- Next to View, enter a name for the template, such as "EXAKTIME"
- Next to Description, enter a description such as "Advanced Import"
- In the Time entry columns box, double-click each of the items in exactly the same order as listed below:
- JC category
- Certified class
- WC code
- WC state
- Misc 1 (This may be renamed based on the set up of your Sage 300)
- Misc 2 (This may be renamed based on the set up of your Sage 300)
- Expense account
- Pay ID
- When your selections look like the ones shown in the picture below, click Save.
- Click Close.
* If you see another entry appear between Job and JC Cost Code, that is fine. This is referred to as JC Extra and is dependent on your Sage 300 set up. Make a note of this for the following step.
Setting Up AccountLinx for Sage 300
To export your time data from ExakTime Connect for Sage 300, AccountLinx must first be configured with the necessary data/information.
- Run AccountLinx. (If the shortcut to AccountLinx is not on the desktop, you can search for it in the Start menu or open the application from C:\Program Files (x86)\ExakTime\AccountLinx. You may create a desktop shortcut for future ease of use. )
- Go to Tools at the top, then click Exporter Settings.
- A window will open, click Select Exporter.
- You will see a list of support accounting packages. Scroll down and search for Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate [Timberline Office]. Check the box and click OK.
- Click Configureto open the window that will allow you to enter your company's Sage 300 information that will be used for our Sage 300 export.
- Enter the appropriate Pay IDs used by your Sage 300.
- Repeat this as needed for any optional Pay IDs below.
- If an employee will be paid differently depending on who it is, their location, or the cost code used, specify it in the Map Pay IDs to drop-down menu.
- Change the Export Version from Standard to Advanced.
- If JC Extra is being used, enable it in the Other section.
- Press OK when satisfied.
If the Employee, Location, and Cost Code IDs in ExakTime Connect are consistent with the IDs in Sage 300, then continue with the following steps; otherwise, skip to the next section.
- Go to Tools at the top, then click Options
- In the following window, click Integration.
- Check on the boxes for any option where the TimeSummit ID matches with the Sage 300 equivalent.
- Press Sync Now. This will force AccountLinx to use the appropriate TimeSummit data for the Sage 300 export.
- Click Map Employees, Map Locations, and/or Map Cost Codes to enter the necessary data that will be recognized by Sage 300 for your export.
Exporting From AccountLinx for Sage 300
- Run AccountLinx. ( A shortcut should be on your desktop. If not, the executable is generally located under C:\Program Files (x86)\ExakTime\AccountLinx. You may create a desktop shortcut for future ease of use. )
- Specify the date range you wish to export in the top right. Click View.
- Select the appropriate employees you wish to export on the left-hand side. You can also click All to select all employees. Any employee with no time will not be exported.
- Click Export.
- A window will appear where you can specify the file name and where to save the file. Click Save when nature.
- A progress window will appear and indicate which record has been successfully exported. If there are any issues, it will indicate the reason a record could not be exported.
For more information regarding exporting from AccountLinx, you can refer to the following article: How to Export Time to your Accounting Package
Importing Into Sage 300
- Go to Tools and click Import Time. A window will open.
- Click into the Import file field and select the file that was exported in the previous section.
- Click into the Error file field and specify where you want the error file to be created. If any time record cannot be imported into Sage 300 for any reason such as invalid data, the error file will be created containing these time records.
- Click into the Time Entry View field, click List, and select the import template.
- Enter the pay period begin date (optional).
- Enter the pay period end date.
- Click Start.
- If successful, you will be able to view the imported records in Sage 300 by generating any reports.