Cost Centers are organizational departments used for accounting purposes. Employees can be assigned to Cost Centers in the Employee Demographic Screen. Additionally, employee Time and Attendance can be recorded against the Cost Centers that are configured. Cost Centers can be configured in hierarchical or flat structure.
- In a hierarchical structure, the Cost Center structure carries a parent/child relationship between each Cost Center Level.
- In a flat structure, the parent/child relationship does not exist, and the User can select any combination of values created.
Configuring your Flat Structure
Click the Flat radio button, complete the Cost Center Types as appropriate, and hit 'Save Configuration'.
Navigate to the 'Cost Center' tab where you will see the Cost Center names that were just created. Create the values for each Cost Center.
Configuring your Hierarchal Structure
- Click the Hierarchical radio button, complete the Cost Center Types as appropriate, and hit 'Save Configuration'. Examples of a hierarchical structure would be State, County, City OR Division, Branch, Department, Team.
- Move to the 'Cost Center' tab where you will see the Cost Center names that were just created. Create the values for each Cost Center. As you move through each Cost Center (Division, Department, Team in this example), you will create the parent/child relationship.
Where Cost Centers Are Found
On the Employee record, the cost center is found under Employee > Demographic Info > Cost Centers.
- In a flat structure, all cost center names will show in the corresponding dropdowns.
- If using a hierarchical structure, once the Level 1 is selected, the subsequent levels will show the available names based on the parent/child relationship.