This guide covers using AccountLinx to export time records from ExakTime Connect into QuickBooks. This is QuickBooks, not QuickBooks Online.
Setting Up AccountLinx with QuickBooks
What is AccountLinx?
AccountLinx complements ExakTime Connect and exports records from Time Card Details to a .CSV/text file or directly into a connected accounting software package. In this case, exporting directly into QuickBooks.
After installation, AccountLinx will create a desktop shortcut as seen below:
Before using AccountLinx to export into QuickBooks, AccountLinx will first need to be:
- Connected to an ExakTime Connect database
- Linked to a QuickBooks company file
Connecting AccountLinx to ExakTime Connect
To link to ExakTime Connect, navigate to the AccountLinx root folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Exaktime\AccountLinx
From there, look for and open "TimeSummit Utilities".
If you've just finished installing AccountLinx, on the Installation Complete screen there will be a button stating "Launch TimeSummit Utilities". This opens TimeSummit Utilities in lieu of the prior step.
Once TimeSummit Utilities load, click the "Database Settings" option on the left and then use credentials provided by ExakTime Support to copy and paste into the fields as labeled.
Once the information is pasted, use the "Test Connection" button to confirm it is able to connect. If it fails, try adding quotation marks (") around the password.
After pressing the Test Connection button, you may receive a message saying Connection tested successfully, but your database is out of date. Please see the status window for further information; this message can be safely ignored.
After successfully testing, click the "Save" button. At this point, it is okay to close the TimeSummit Utilities screen.
Connecting AccountLinx to QuickBooks
For this connection to work, AccountLinx will need to have been installed in the same environment as QuickBooks. To establish a connection to QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks
- Sign-in and open the desired company file; the sign-in used will need to be an Administrator
- Put QuickBooks into Single-User mode if it is not already (File>Switch to Single User Mode)
- Open AccountLinx
- In AccountLinx, go to Tools>Exporter Settings>Select Exporter
- Alternatively, if this is your first time opening AccountLinx, you may be presented with a red text option to "Select Exporter" near the top left-hand corner of the program, simply click Select Exporter and choose the accounting package
- From the list of exporters, select QuickBooks, then OK
After selecting OK, AccountLinx may pause for a moment. Then, it will prompt a Setup Wizard to help link QuickBooks properly with AccountLinx. The wizard guides through 13 slides of brief configuration steps.
Setup Wizard - Setting AccountLinx to QuickBooks Options
1) The first slide covers what will be accomplished by completing the subsequent prompts. Proceed by pressing "Next"
2) Choose the appropriate version of QuickBooks on the next slide, then select Next
3) Prepare for establishing the connection by having QuickBooks open and signing in with an Administrator's username/password. Note the bulleted points before continuing.
4) AccountLinx will now attempt a connection to QuickBooks. You'll need to approve access to your company file in QuickBooks. Once the certificate is approved on the QuickBooks side as noted on the slide, click "Next"
5) After successfully connecting, AccountLinx will guide you through setting up preferences for exporting. Here, decide whether or not Jobs/Customers and Cost Codes/Service items are required per each time record before it can be exported into QuickBooks
- If Job/Customer is required, all QuickBooks Jobs & Customers will need to be mapped to an ExakTime Connect Location
- If Cost Code/Service is required, all QuickBooks Service Items will need to be mapped to an ExakTime Connect Cost Code
- This can be changed later under Tools>Exporter Settings>Configure>Export Options>Error Export Options
6) Set which set of hours can be exported as billable QuickBooks time. Billable time allows you to invoice the imported time to Customers.
- AccountLinx can map billable to Cost Codes or Locations. Choosing Cost Code allows the marking of time accrued to specific Cost Code/Service Items as billable. Setting to Location allows time accrued to specific Jobs & Customers to be marked as billable
7) Set your default Payroll Wage Items for Regular, Overtime, and Overtime 2. If you do not use Overtime 2 or Doubletime, set this to the same Payroll Wage Item as Overtime.
Any entity accruing time not specifically mapped to a separate Payroll Wage Item will follow these default settings. Payroll Wage Items will need to have been set up in QuickBooks before hand; however, these settings can be adjusted at any time.
Choose whether additional Payroll Wage Items can be mapped to Employees, Locations (Jobs/Customers), or Cost Code (Service Items)
8) On the eighth slide, use the information presented on the slide to adjust settings in QuickBooks to allow the use of time data for creating paychecks.
9)Unlike Locations and Cost Codes, Employees absolutely have to be mapped in order to export time. If you have vendors who are paid like employees, can check the box on this slide to include them in the employee list for mapping.
While this screen allows you to map employees, this guide will cover mapping using the most common method in the next section.
10 - 11)The next two cover mapping Cost Codes and Locations respectively. These will also be covered in the next section. Continues by selecting Next.
12 - 13)The last two slides confirm the settings and conclude the setup wizard. Slide 13 covers where to find data in QuickBooks after exporting successfully. Click "Finish" to close the setup wizard.
Mapping Employees, Locations, and Cost Codes
Mapping entities tells AccountLinx who to give the imported to time, what jobs get the accrued time and which Service Items were used. While the Setup Wizard allows you to map at the time of setup, we find it easier to access mapping from the AccountLinx home screen using the toolbar buttons,
Each map screen features the same mapping buttons: Map, Unmap, Auto-Map, and Unmap All. In the mapping screen, there will be three columns.
- As shown above, the blue "TimeSummit" column displays the name of the Employee/Location/Cost Code as it appears in ExakTime Connect.
- The gray "QuickBooks" column displays the name the QuickBooks Employee/Customer or Job/Service mapped to that entity.
- The green "QuickBooks" column on the right shows the names of unmapped employee names as they appear in QuickBooks. Since Customers/Jobs and Service items can be mapped to multiple Locations and Cost Codes, they will appear under the right the Quickbooks column regardless if mapped or unmapped.
Mapping screens will not show inactive Employees, Locations, Cost Code
- Select the name of the ExakTime Connect employee/location/cost code you wish to map
- This highlights it in gray
- Select its corresponding name/description from the green QuickBooks column
- Click the "< Map" button
- Select the Employee/Location/Cost Code needing to be unmapped from the TimeSummit or gray QuickBooks column
- Click "Unmap >"
To Auto-Map, simply click the "< Auto-Map" button. This maps any Employee/Location/Cost Code to any Employee/Customer or Job/Service Item in QuickBooks with exact matching names.
To Unmap All, select the "Unmap All >" button. This remove all mapped data.
Use Close to close the mapping screen without saving changes. Use Save and Close to save you changes and close the mapping screen, and use Save to simply save your changes and leave the mapping screen open.
When mapping, their names do not have to be matched exactly. For example, if a user goes by their nickname in ExakTime Connect but use their full name in Quickbooks, they can still be manually mapped, but cannot be auto-mapped.
To map employees, select the "Map Employees" button from the toolbar in AccountLinx. A new window will appear showing a list of all available employees in ExakTime Connect and a list of those available in QuickBooks.
Like Employees, Locations do not need to share the same exact name or description as the Customer/Job when mapping using the "Map >" button.
Unlike QuickBooks Employees, a Customer or Job can be mapped to multiple ExakTime Connect Locations making it possible to bill one customer for multiple locations.
To map locations, select the "Map Locations" button. You can also mark them as Billable from this screen.
Mapping Cost Codes
Cost Code can be mapped to services items. By default, you can assign Payroll Wage Items to them as well. If left blank, they will use the default settings chosen during using the Setup Wizard.
If payroll wage items were not set up during the Setup Wizard, it can be done later in AccountLinx.
To map Cost Code, click "Map Cost Codes".
AccountLinx offers a few additional settings and options to further tune AccountLinx to suit your business needs. Several of these were covered in the Setup Wizard, but you can find them all by going to Tools>Exporter Settings>Configure...
This window presents two tabs. One for Options, one for Export Options.
- Connection Type: Describes the type of connection, typically a locally open company file
- Company File Name: Display the name of the QuickBooks company file currently connected
- Export to multiple QuickBooks companies: Allows AccountLinx to connect to multiple company files one at a time and preserves the settings and mappings between two separate QuickBooks company files. For this to work as intended, the company files cannot not have overlapping data, for example: employee John Doe should not exist in both company files
Default Wage Items
These are the QuickBooks Payroll Wage Items used for employees' regular (non-overtime) pay, overtime, and so on. All available payroll items created within the QuickBooks company file appear in the drop downs.
- Regular Payroll Wage Item: Define which payroll wage item Regular time defaults to.
- Overtime Payroll Wage Item: Define which payroll wage item Overtime defaults to.
- Overtime 2 Payroll Wage Item: Define which payroll wage item Overtime 2 (Doubletime) defaults to. If employees do not accrue Doubletime or Overtime 2, it is common practice to set this to the same wage item as Overtime.
- Include vendors in employee list: Enabling will add vendors created within QuickBooks to the employee mapping list in AccountLinx
- Map Payroll Wage Item to: Select the group that determines how your pay is based. If you pay based on an employee's hourly wage, choose "Employees". If pay is based on which customer site employees work at, choose "Location". If you pay based on what activities (service items) your employees are performing at any given time, choose "CostCode".
- Map class to: Select the type of item you use classes (or subgroups) with. Typically, classes are defined for Customers/Vendors, describing individual sub-jobs or sites for that customer or vendor. In that case, you would choose "Location". If you instead define classes based on activities (service items), choose "CostCode".
- Map billable to: If billable hours are associated with Customers, choose "Location". If billable hours are associated with Activities (service items), choose "CostCode".
- Export as billable hours: Select which hours are considered to be billable to your customers by checking Regular, Overtime, and/or Overtime 2 boxes
The most commonly used settings are mapping Wage item to Employee and mapping Class to Location.
- Map as billable: Marks any Location or Cost Code as billable when mapped using the "Auto-Map" function
- Map class as: Choose what class is used for mapping when using the "Auto-Map" function
- Include QuickBooks Customer in Location Match: Automatically map customers that match ExakTime Connect Locations (in addition to jobs)
Select the type (Employee, Location, Cost Code, or Time Record) of notes or comments to include with each time record during exports.
For example, if set to Location, the comment section in ExakTime Connect under Manage>Location>[location name]>Comments will appear with the record in QuickBooks.
Comment as it appears under the Location
A time record including the location on Time Card Details in ExakTime Connect
Location comments as they appear in QuickBooks under Employee>Enter Time>Use Weekly TimeSheet
Error Export Options
- Location mapping required: Enable to require all active Locations be mapped before an export can be successfully executed
- Cost Code mapping required: Set to require all active Cost Code to be mapped before completing a successful export
If left disabled, any data not mapped will be absent from QuickBooks after exporting. Turning on these features is a good way to have AccountLinx notify you when an export is attempted containing locations or Cost Codes that are not mapped but in use.
Location and Cost Code Export
- Export Location as Service items and Cost Code as Job/Customer: Switch Locations to map to QuickBooks Service Items and Cost Codes to map to QuickBooks Jobs/Customers
Exporting Time Records into QuickBooks
After configuring and mapping, you should now be able to export into QuickBooks. Exported records can be found in QuickBooks under Employees>Enter Time>Use Weekly TimeSheets
To export, do the following in AccountLinx:
- On the far right, set date range for the records you wish to export
- Click "View" to see records for the range chosen
- In the left Employees section, check the box next the employees you wish to export.
- Use "All" to select all employees
- Selecting the employee selects all their records to export for the given date range
- You can select individual records for export in Time Records section on the right
Use the "Export" button
Exporting will open a new window to track progress. Successful exports will receive green checks; any errors will be marked in red with a message explaining why the record did not export.
In the example below, the records did not export due to the location and cost code used not being mapped. To resolve, close the Export Progress window, map what is needed, then export the remaining records using the steps above.
From here, the records should be in QuickBooks. Exports can be redone and any settings can be changed as needed. It is recommended to go through the AccountLinx workflow and reach out to ExakTime if there are any questions before payroll to ensure familiarity with the process when the time comes.